Phoenix Home Care founder Philip Melugin owns Pheasant Run Ranch in Kansas. As owner of the 5,000-acre hunting facility, Philip Melugin consistently stresses to other hunters the importance of safe hunting practices. For those who are new to the field, Melugin identifies several must-follow rules. Even for longtime hunters, Philip Melugin suggests that reviewing these suggestions could prove a valuable refresher.
- Wear blaze orange. This is also known as safety orange and it is easy to spot. As Philip Melugin points out, the more orange you can wear, the better. Hunting clothing available in safety orange includes baseball caps, vests, jackets, pants, and shirts.
- Follow gun safety rules. While in transit, Philip Melugin emphasizes that a shotgun should remain unloaded with barrels open until arrival at your destination. The safety should be engaged when you are not actively hunting.
- Safety comes first at all times. As Philip Melugin warns, you should only shoot when you are 100% certain no other hunters are within shooting range. This rule extends to other hunters’ guides and any hunting dogs that may be out on the hunt. You should be aware of your surroundings and the location of every person or dog in the vicinity at all times.
- Shots toward the ground are strictly forbidden, since these shots could harm the dogs. Philip Melugin quotes a general rule that disallows hunters from shooting at prey at any point that requires the gun to go below a point where it is horizontal with the ground.
- Wear proper clothing. Thick pants are advisable, especially in cooler temperatures, because they will protect your legs from brush. Philip Melugin also advises wearing comfortable shoes with sturdy soles to prevent slips. Be sure your shoes are broken in prior to going out on your hunt to avoid being slowed down by foot discomfort.
- Study regulations. According to Philip Melugin, regulations for hunting are available on the Kansas Wildlife website. You should also know basic hunting etiquette and follow it at all times.
Quail hunting can be fun and productive, but Philip Melugin reminds hunters regarding the importance of putting safety first at all times. Most importantly, if you’re a beginner, be sure to let the staff at Pheasant Run Ranch know that when you’re making your reservation so they can ensure you have the best guide to help you as you begin your hunt.